Torfaen & Blaenau Gwent Mind
Torfaen & Blaenau Gwent Mind is a mental health charity with its main offices and wellbeing centre based in Pontypool. It challenges stigmas, raises awareness and trains people to identify and minimise the detrimental effects of mental health problems.
Established in 1986 and formally known as Pontypool Mind, the organisation has expanded to cover the neighbouring county borough and provides services and training to improve the wellbeing of the local and larger community.Its services include:
- Supported housing - accommodation and help aimed at giving residents the confidence and ability to sustain a tenancy successfully, including pre-tenancy support for males aged 16-plus
- Floating support to help people live independently in their own home, manage their mental health, maintain their tenancies and enjoy quality of life
- Wellbeing centres – the Phoenix Project, Brynmawr and Wellbeing Centre Programme, Pontypool help people to access advice, therapeutic groups and other support within the two towns
- Counselling - within a safe ‘no strings attached’ environment, giving clients the space where - in partnership with their counsellor - they can explore their feelings and situation
- Training in Mind, the charity’s social enterprise, which has specialist trainers dedicated to providing information and practical advice to relieve mental distress
Funding of £79,596 from SEWCED contributed to the appointment of a business development manager to set up income-generating activities. The subsequent successful counselling service and increased sales of training services have helped set the charity en route to achieving its aim of sustainability.
Director Emma Hammonds said: “Torfaen & Blaenau Gwent Mind is now a highly professional charitable organisation and successful business, well respected throughout South Wales. The valuable services offered have already made a difference to the lives of many people in the community and we recognise the need to sustain these activities. We have made some great achievements and plan to build on this into the future.”
The Mindfulness Wales Project is an innovative initiative set up be Caerphilly social enterprise Samye Foundation Wales to benefit businesses operating in the county borough.Read More
Rowan Tree Cancer Care's recently-opened premises in Pontypridd Town centre, Bridal Boutique, currently stocks more than 170 donated wedding, prom dresses and occasional wear.Read More
Torfaen & Blaenau Gwent Mind is a mental health charity with its main offices and well-being centre based in Pontypool.Read More